ST-elevation is a measurement on an electrocardiogram, in which the trace in the ST segment is very high above the isoelectric line. An electrocardiogram, or electrocardiograph, is an evaluation of the electrical activity of the heart over a period of time. It is captured and recorded by external skin electrodes.
The ST segment is related to a period of ventrical systolic depolarization, which means the cardiac muscle is contracted. Relaxation then subsequently occurs during diastolic repolarization. Normally the ST segment displays a particular order of muscular layers that repolarize at set times.
However, if the cardiac muscle becomes damaged or inflamed, its electrical properties transform. This can lead to premature repolarization, or the systole ending earlier than usual.
ST elevation can be present in several conditions including acute pericarditis, which is an acute inflammation of the sac surrounding the heart, left ventricular aneurysm, which is a complication that can occur after a heart attack and myocardial infarction (MI), another word for heart attack.
New Stem Cell Application Treats ST-Elevation
Undifferentiated adult stem cells can transform into the cells of countless organs and tissues within the human body. Used in many therapies, they restore impaired fibers and renew failing cells through cell division, a process in which they multiply indefinitely. Stem cell science has seen vast improvements in recent years and many new developments and discoveries have been made.
Stem Cell Application at Angeles Hospital
Angeles Health developed the Adult Autologous Stem Cell (A-ASC) Therapy program to manage a variety of diseases, including ST-elevation. ST-elevation is treated using autologous adult stem cells, which come from the patient themselves. This means there is very little possibility of a patient’s body rejecting the stem cells.
Angeles hospital uses stem cells that come from the patient’s bone marrow and adipose tissue, or fat. As adipose tissue extraction is more effective than bone marrow extraction, because the tissue can yield up to ten times more stem cells, it is much more commonly used. Bone marrow extraction is also a more difficult procedure to carry out.
The innovative therapeutic endovascular placement of adipose-derived adult autologous stem cells in the Stem Cell Application treatment program at Hospital Angeles means organs or tissues can be targeted directly.
The specialized catheterization procedure is not invasive but easy on the patient. Stem cells can be delivered throughout the body, there is no need for an anesthetic and it is completed in less than an hour.
Angeles Health International is a Center of Excellence and offers patients with SI-elevation the most innovative therapies of the highest quality and confidence. Collaborative medical practitioners work to promote and define best practices. They measure results, learn together and establish treatment protocols. The Center of Excellence works with groups of licensed medical professionals who adhere to formally appointed bodies of expertise. This upholds the highest standards of treatment and investigative research.
- Males and Females between Age 18 and 80 years.
- Defined acute myocardial infarction between 2 weeks and 4 months from screening
- Left ventricular ejection fraction at screening of ≤ 45%, with 2 or more contiguous areas of severe wall motion abnormality on resting echocardiography.
- Patients must have a minimum myocardial wall thickness of 5mm
- Need or feasibility for re-vascularization has been ruled out by coronary angiogram or noninvasive stress testing.
- Stable for at least 30 days on optimal medical management including:
- Plavix/asprin therapy, anticoagulation therapy, cholesterol lowering agent, beta blocker, ACE inhibitor or ARB blocker
At the time of the screening/enrollment visit #1, patients meeting ANY ONE of the following criteria will be excluded from the study.
- Females who are pregnant or nursing or females of childbearing potential who are unwilling to maintain contraceptive therapy for the duration of the study
- Inability to undergo Lipivage™ fat transfer procedure or have any medical problems that contraindicate the LipiVage procedure.
- Life expectancy < 6 months due to concomitant illnesses.
- NYHA CHF Class 3+ or 4
- Severe valvular or other non-ischemic myocardial disease.
- Mechanical complications of the index acute myocardial infarction including but not limited to rupture of the mitral valve with resultant development of mitral regurgitation, rupture of the left ventricular free wall and rupture of the interventricular septum.
- Previous severe reaction to radiocontrast agents
- Exposure to any investigational drug or procedure within 1 month prior to study entry or enrolled in a concurrent study that may confound results of this study.
- Serum creatinine > 2.5 mg/dL or end stage renal disease
- Active infectious disease and/or known to have tested positive for HIV, HTLV, HBV, HCV, CMV (IgM > IgG) and/or syphilis. If the panel includes antibodies to the HBVcAg and HBV-sAg, then an expert will be consulted as to patient eligibility based on the patient’s infectious status
- Any illness which might affect a patient’s survival over the follow-up period
- Any illness which, in the Investigator’s judgement, will interfere with the patient’s ability to comply with the protocol, compromise patient safety, or interfere with the interpretation of the study results
- Patients on chronic immunosuppressive transplant therapy
- Patients with severe coagulation disorders
- Systolic blood pressure (supine) ≤90 mmHg;
- Resting heart rate > 100 bpm;
- Poorly controlled diabetes mellitus (HgbA1C>10%).
- Active proliferative diabetic retinopathy
- Medical risk that precludes anesthesia (conscious sedation), or ASA Class 5.
- Active clinical infection being treated by antibiotics within one week of enrollment.
- Cerebrovascular accident within 6 months prior to study entry
- Known drug or alcohol dependence or any other factors which will interfere with the study conduct or interpretation of the results or who in the opinion of the investigator are not suitable to participate.
- COPD or severe asthma that would contraindicate surgery (LipiVage).
- History of cancer (other than non-melanoma skin cancer or in-situ cervical cancer) in the last two years.
Discover more today!
To learn more about the many possibilities contained within Stem Cell Application at Angeles hospital in Mexico please contact us using the form to your right.